Why do we dance?
|People do not stop dancing because they get older,
they get older because they stop dancing.
A lot of people wonder why we put so much energy into (swing) dancing.
Considering all the fun things to do, some of us put a disportionate amount
of time (and money) into dancing. On the other hand, we could be asking
why some people spend a ton of money to go skiing or to buy a neat car.
Why do people go running all the time? For some of us, dancing is a part of
what we are; it makes us feel good. For some, it's a timely escape from
the today's reality. Here are some reasons why you should get into it.
Top ten reasons...?
- It's great exercise! I stopped going to the health club years
ago and I haven't gained any weight since. I can get my aerobic
exercise and enjoy it. Have you ever seen people in an aerobics class
- It's fun! A lot of people go dancing. It's easy to make friends
in the dance scene. You get to meet different kinds of people, all of
whom love to dance.
- There's a lot of great music to dance to.
- There are so many kinds of dancing, you can't get bored with it.
- Anyone can do it. I can't tell the million-dollar executives from the
janitors. If you've got some rhythm and aren't afraid to move your feet
on the dance floor, you've got it made. (well, almost).
- It's a great way to meet people. Hey, you're suppose to
go around and ask people to dance! Now you have an excuse to go up
and talk to that good-looking person across the room.
- It's healthy. In general, most dancers do not smoke or drink.
Most dance environments are smoke-free and alcohol-free. We don't
need the crutch of a cigarette or a drink to have fun. Besides, have
you ever tried doing a spin with half a glass of wine in you? It's
not pretty. :-(
- A 3-minute relationship You're not getting married; you're just
going to dance with someone. Think about it. You have a
perfectly acceptable excuse to hold someone's hand for three minutes
and when you're done, you can walk away to meet other people without
feeling guilty! :^)
- Something to do with your SO. What better excuse to hold your
honey in your arms in public without people giggling about it?
- Dance and stay young. This has got to be the fountain of youth.
Dancing is something you can do for the rest of your life. If you can
dance well, people don't care if you are 20 or 70; I know I usually
don't even think about the age of whomever I dance with. A great
dancer will always be in demand. Look at people like Frankie Manning,
Charlie Mead, or Dawn Hampton. They are incredible dancers and
I think that, somewhere along the way, they forgot that they were
suppose to get old. :-)
Last updated September 14, 1997
Go back to -->
[ DanceNet Main Menu ]