Ad-sponsored Websites Are Bad For You
I can see one reason for having ads on your website. If you run an informational website
that generates no other income, then getting someone else to pay for the cost of your
website is a great idea.
If you run a business, I think it's an incredibly stupid idea to have ads
on your website. Why?
- You look cheap. You look like you're too cheap to pay for something that promotes your business.
- You're suppose to be running a business; you should
have a website that offers only information about your business.
- You look unprofessional. If people go to your website to get more information
about your business, do you want them to be distracted by ads?
- It looks like your business is doing poorly. Ads tell the reader that your business
is doing poorly so you can't afford to pay for a website.
- Ads annoy the readers. Do you want to drive away customers?
- Worse of all, do you want ads on your website that advertise other businesses?
I have indeed seen ads on someone's dance business' website that advertised other
dance studios. How stupid is that?
Websites are cheap and you find someone who's willing to drop in a quick website that won't
cost an arm and a leg.
Ultimately, a dance venue should be using their website to attract as many readers
an customers as possible. The websites should look as professional as possible
and that's possible without having to pay someone hundreds of dollars to create
and maintain that website.